• 3.3V, 5V, 12V, and Adjustable Output Versions
integrated circuits that provide all the active functions
• Adjustable Version Output Voltage Range, for a step-down (buck) switching regulator, capable of 1.2V to 37V ±4% Max Over Line and Load driving a 3A load with excellent line and load Conditions regulation. These devices are available in fixed output
• Available in TO-220 and TO-263 Packages voltages of 3.3V, 5V, 12V, and an adjustable output version.
• Ensured 3A Output Load Current
• Requiring a minimum number of external Input Voltage Range Up to 40Vcomponents, these regulators are simple to use and
• Requires Only 4 External Components include internal frequency compensation , and a
• Excellent Line and Load Regulation fixed-frequency oscillator.
The LM2596 series operates at a switching frequency
• 150 kHz Fixed Frequency Internal Oscillator of 150 kHz thus allowing smaller sized filter
• TTL Shutdown Capability components than what would be needed with lower
• Low Power Standby Mode, I
frequency switching regulators. Available in a Q Typically 80 μA standard 5-lead TO-220 package with several
• High Efficiency different lead bend options, and a 5-lead TO-263
• Uses Readily Available Standard Inductors surface mount package.
• Thermal Shutdown and Current Limit A standard series of inductors are available from
Protection several different manufacturers optimized for use with
the LM2596 series. This feature greatly simplifies the
APPLICATIONS design of switch-mode power supplies.
• Simple High-Efficiency Step-Down (Buck) Other features include a ensured ±4% tolerance on Regulator output voltage under specified input voltage and output load conditions, and ±15% on the oscillator
• On-Card Switching Regulators frequency. External shutdown is included, featuring
• Positive to Negative Converter typically 80 μA standby current. Self protection features include a two stage frequency reducing
current limit for the output switch and an over temperature shutdown for complete protection under
fault conditions. (1)
(1) † Patent Number 5,382,918.